Thanks, Peter.

It is dismaying that anyone could not imagine that  there's any way around the
wide variety of charges and procedures that collections  - perhaps sometimes
thoughtlessly? - interpose between themselves the public for whom they are
stewards.  For those, here are some starting points.

https://images.nga.gov/en/page/show_home_page.html

http://britishart.yale.edu/collections/using-collections/image-use

http://www.britishmuseum.org/about_this_site/terms_of_use/free_image_service.aspx

https://www.lacma.org/about/contact-us/terms-use

http://thewalters.org/rights-reproductions.aspx

Knowing that it can be bothersome to visit websites and read, let me copy the
simple image rights/use statement from the Walters Art Museum:

All photography on our website(s) is governed by Creative Commons Licensing and
can be used without cost or specific permission. Artworks in the photographs
are in the public domain due to age. The photographs of two-dimensional objects
have also been released into the public domain. Photographs of
three-dimensional objects and all descriptions have been released under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free
Documentation License.

Cheers,

ken

Kenneth Hamma