Kate:

If an image is a protected (copyrighted) work, it doesn't matter what size or
format it's in.  It's protected, and the copyright holder has the exclusive
right to reproduce and distribute it and to make derivatives of it.  (Thumbnail
images for purposes of identification, for example in a database or search
engine, would be the possible exception.)

However, that doesn't mean one cannot make an institutional policy decision to
treat different formats and sizes differently in terms of
how you distribute, license, or give away image files for various purposes.
This follows from the above.

Amalyah Keshet
Chair, MCN IP SIG

Amalyah Keshet