Title: Re: Scheduling software
We have started using a hosted web calendar service ( http://www.fusioncalendar.com/ ) for internal use that is quite flexible and inexpensive. A license also can be purchased for your own server install - PHP, PostgreSQL, Python & FreeBSD.

Here are some of the features. They are quite open to customizing or developing new features for you:
Private Calendars
Custom Categories
Distributed Administration
Synchronization