Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 13:36:18 +0300
From: Amalyah Keshet <amalyah.kes...@gmail.com>
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv <mcn-l@mcn.edu>
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Bridgeman Images question

Haggie:

I've worked very successfully with Bridgeman for years. They are
professional, friendly, and scrupulously copyright-conscious.

I suggest you contact them, explain the situation, get their side of the
story, and yes definitely offer to provide better subsitute images.  This
will most likely lead to their offering to set up a contractual arrangement
to represent your museum's images, sharing revenue, and I can definitely
recommend doing so.  It's a very comfortable additional revenue source. You
can take it and develop the relationship from there.

n.b.  Image files -- the tools that are in demand for high-quality printing
-- can be provided, licensed, sold precisely as such: as high quality
digital files.  This is separate from the underlying work of art that
appears in the file; that work of art can be protected by copyright or it
can be in the publilc domain.  Logically, the value or price of the
tool/file is separate from that of the artist's copyright clearance, which
may or not apply.  Bridgeman takes care of clearing artists' copyrights if
that part of the equation applies.  They also represent a large number of
artists:
http://www.bridgemanimages.com/en-GB/bridgeman-copyright-service

Good luck!

*Amalyah Keshet *
*Image Resources and Copyright Management, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
(retired)*

--
Heidi S. Raatz, MLIS
Visual Resources Librarian | Permissions Officer

612.870.3196 | hra...@artsmia.org | www.artsmia.org | VisRes Request Form
[internal use] <http://ow.ly/43q4p>