Yes Jeff, but I'm not sure that fully satisfies the customization request.
Yesterday I was looking in to this and you have two options per
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/customize-and-export-start-layout.
________________________________

When a full Start layout is applied, the users cannot pin, unpin, or uninstall
apps from Start. Users can view and open all apps in the All Apps view, but
they cannot pin any apps to Start.

When a partial Start
layout<https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/customize-and-export-start-layout#configure-a-partial-start-layout>
 is applied, the contents of the specified tile groups cannot be changed, but
users can move those groups, and can also create and customize their own groups.

So if the request is that users can customize their start menu then it doesn't
sound like that's 100% possible, but it's partially possible.  A partial Start
layout definition would allow them to customize the parts you did not define if
I understand it correctly.  The parts you define would be locked in by the
sound of it.  I have not done this yet myself.

Brian Klish
Systems Administrator
Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation
Morrisville State College