Thumbnails will generally not be deleted except if an image is deleted,
overwritten with another file or purged (ie appending ?action=purge to the
file description page)

--
bawolff

On Monday, July 31, 2017, Krabina Bernhard <krab...@kdz.or.at> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
>
> An additional question regarding thumbnailing: do thumbs ever get deleted
by MediaWiki?
> They probably get deleted once the image gets deleted. But other than
that, do all generated thumbnails exist as long as the image exists?

> cheers,
> Bernhard
>

> ----- Am 29. Jul 2017 um 2:22 schrieb Brian Wolff bawo...@gmail.com:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> MediaWiki will by default only create image thumbs for needed sizes at
>> time the size is used on a page. So for example when you add an image
>> to a page, MW will create the thumbnail sizes needed to display an
>> article. However, if the image is uploaded but never added to a normal
>> page, then thumbnails for the image won't be generated (except for
>> those needed on image description page, which are different sizes)
>>
>> There is a second mode mediawiki can operate in, where images are
>> rendered on demand when someone views the image (so-called "404 thumb
>> handling"). Wikimedia wikis use this mode. In this mode, thumbs are
>> created on first view. Additionally in this mode, $wgImageLimits
>> creates additional links on the image description page. This mode is
>> generally more efficient (especially on page saves), and also more
>> reliable in the event that there is a missing thumb.
>>
>> For information to set up 404-thumb rendering see
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php
>>
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Krabina Bernhard <krab...@kdz.or.at>
wrote:
>>> Dear MediaWiki experts,
>>>
>>> I cannot really figure out the behaviour of MediaWiki regarding
thumbnailing.
>>> What I want to achieve is that my MediaWiki installation produces
thumbnails in
>>> a specified size.
>>>
>>> What I did after reading through several help pages is this:
>>> ---------------------------
>>> # Images und Thumbnails
>>> $wgThumbLimits = array( 80, 250, 390 );
>>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['thumbsize'] = 1; // thumb size 250
>>>
>>> $wgImageLimits = array( array( 80, 90 ), array( 800, 600 ), array(
1280, 1024 )
>>> );
>>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
>>>
>>> In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded,
there is an
>>> 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but
there are