Oops, all your mails went directly to the spam folder. Sorry for the
belated reply and thank you for your suggestions and feedback.

I should definitively give it a shot again and in case of failure
together with error logging. :) Fresh wikis are painless so I guess that
I know how to set up a working handler.

I remember a 1.23 giving me pain with no thumbs rendered but this one
was the source of a foreign file repo. So this may have been the reason.
Moreover I remember other issues with file handling in that branch. Also
there was a 1.27 with no thumbs rendered for the files uploaded before
the switch but working for files uploaded after the switch. That's
basically why I got the idea that existing thumbs will probably have to
be cleared. That wiki is now on 1.29 and working cool though.

Cheers Karsten