Dear Yanbo Pei,

In this essentially classical treatment of the interactions between a
saturable gain/absorbing medium and the electromagnetic fields, there are
three different variables that can all be tuned to control the effective
gain/loss that the field sees -- the two that you mentioned, N0 and the
various decay and pumping rates (including Rp), as well as the coupling
element sigma (or theta, depending on which set of conventions you are
using). If you wish to use physical units for N0 and the pumping/decay
rates, you'll also need to be careful to pick the coupling element to also
use these units (it should be quite small in this case). Note. that N0
should be interpreted as a density, number of atoms per unit pixel of your
system.

In the tutorial, the values chosen do not correspond to any particular
physical system, they're just a convenient set of values to confirm the
stable multimode lasing regime of meep. This choice was made for two
reasons: (1) because it is a bit difficult to find physical values for
sigma/theta for realistic systems in the literature alongside pumping /
decay rates. (at least, at the time when I was focused on these problems,
~6 years ago, maybe that's changed.) and (2) only the combination of these
parameters discussed in the tutorial, D0, actually matters for calculating
the lasing behavior. (i.e., you have 3 knobs to turn to choose a single
parameter.) If you cared about the noise of the system, this is no longer
true, and all 3 parameters play independent roles, but the quantum noise of
a laser is beyond the scope of what meep currently calculates.

alex