Kevin,

There isn't really any alignment needed on the tensioner seal. More
likely (?) you had the wrong one. There is an early tensioner and a
late/improved tensioner. The newer one requires a larger aluminum
O-ring seal. If you put a small O-ring on a newer/larger tensioner, it
would get all boogered up. The O-ring should fit neatly on the
tensioner seat. Something to consider, anyway. This is documented in
the FSM somewhere. My white and blue cars had different tensioners,
that's how I discovered this little tidbit... another 'gotcha' to add
to your list!

:-)

-Dave M.