Being a newspaper article, there is simply not enough
info here to objectively analyze. Did they incorporate
the costs of NOT having to subsidize the Crop Reserve
Program? Did they factor in the military costs of
having to "stabilize" oil producing regions?...or the
billions in foreign aid given away for the same
purpose? Did they factor in the cost if we ever lost
that flow of Middle East oil? It is almost impossible
to calculate the real cost of our oil as so much of it
is tax dollars spent by the Pentagon and the State
Department.

Christopher