Lee,

It is obvious to me that you did not come from an agricultural background.
I, on the other hand, know very little about the jewelry industry.  But, the
fact that I have a couple nice pieces of jewelry does not permit me to
converse knowledgeably on the subject matter.  However, I have always held
any information you sent me concerning Mercedes diesels in high regard.

Farming, like any jewelry store, grocery store or refinery is a business
that must turn a profit to remain a viable entity.  All are subject to the
laws of supply and demand.  As someone with a fairly strong chemistry
background, I can tell you that fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides can
be synthesized by alternative means just as fuels but at a much higher cost.
When gasoline was selling for approximately $1.35 a gallon a couple years
ago, it was not cost effective for ethanol and biodiesel manufacturing
facilities to try to market their product.  Would you have paid $3-4.00 a
gallon for ethanol only to get half the MPG in return or a similar price for
the biodiesel when diesel was $1.00.

Every person or business (unless you're the Federal Government) has a
limited amount of money to spend each month for fuel, groceries, insurance,
etc.   With the price of fuel at $2.50 and climbing, alternative fuels will
soon appear to be a practical choice to the consumer.  And, when they become
more common, as in the case of computers, the price may be driven even
lower.  Other factors could also come into play that could affect those
numbers as well, but we just don't know what exactly is going to happen
next.

You had asked for some numbers so I will give you a few.   In the 1970-71
time frame, our new pickup truck cost $2,700.00, offroad diesel was 16.5
cents per gallon and our new tractor was $11,000.00 while corn fluctuated
around $2.00 a bushel.

The Dodge pickup we purchased a couple years ago was $35,000.00.  Offroad
fuel is now over $2.00 a gallon and a tractor rated at the same horsepower
is $45,000.00  (We still use the 1971 model as a primary tractor).  I won't
even bring up insurance, utilities, property tax or health care.   Sadly
enough, corn is now selling at approximately $2.30 per bushel while soybeans
are selling for less now than they did 35 years ago.

Chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and petroleum-driven cultivation have just
barely afforded farmers the opportunity to stay in farming.  The only way to
offset the increasing cost of overhead while the price of our product
remained unchanged was to increase production through the utilization of
these products.  Your question almost makes me wonder if you think we should
plow the fields with horses and raise our middle finger to the oil
companies.  If so, I would hope that you would join us and ride your horse
to work each day and care for it as well.

The lack of profit as well as health care and retirement in the farming
industry has required almost all of those who remain to have primary jobs to
support their desire to farm.  Our community, which was once primarily
agricultural, now consists mostly of what we call "hobby farms."  It is in
our heritage to farm, but unfortunately farming has become more of a tax
deduction than a way of life as it used to be.   When a farmer dies, more
often then not, the farm is subdivided and sold in parcels.  Why would
anyone in the family want to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy
out their siblings only to make next to nothing in return?   I have to laugh
each time I walk through the grocery store and see a box of cereal with a
nickel's worth of corn in it sell for between $3 and 4.00!  Have you ever
lay awake at night and wondered how you were going to make your mortgage
payment if no rain were to come (as I have this year)?  Or the opposite, if
it would not stop raining (as the previous two years).   I have often
thought I might be better ahead to take the money used to put out our crops
and fly to Las Vegas.  I truly think the odds are nearly the same.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to get off the subject but I hope I have put things
into a little better perspective for you.  The numbers I supplied you with
are factual.  Without the use of fertilizers herbicides and petroleum-driven
cultivation, farms would cease to exist as we now know them.

-Scott Levengood