> Is this an appropriate treatment? I have some white lithium grease
> around
> here (if I can ever find it!), too.

I've used Mobil 1 5W20.  McParts sells a cable lube, but I
was out (and thought I wasn't) once and used the lightest
oil I had in a pinch.  I figured a synthetic would not
get sticky, and it did work and seemed to work well.  It
certainly reduced the bouncing.  What I remember of the
official lube was that it was a light oil.

The cable core won't pull out, but you can feed it oil from
the top end and it'll work its way in.

> However I have never been able to figure out how a cable can produce a
> bouncing effect.

The cable core is wound like a spring, and once it starts getting a
bit sticky (especially at the top) it'll wind up a bit and then jerk
loose, ad infinitum.  (Or at least until it breaks.)

-- Jim