My 300TD has experienced a succession of bouncing speedo needles, most
noticeable (annoying) at low speeds.

The fixes suggested on this forum over the years have almost always
stressed the wisdom of buying a new cable (the insert). It worked for
me, was cheap, and was easy to fit.

I had a new cable outer fitted once.  Not so easy or cheap.

I believe the inners stick at the speedo end of the business. This is
where dashboard heat, especially in the sun, really cooks up the works
and dries things out.

Buy a new inner. That's what Marshall would have said.

Cheers

Euan

1985 300TD 5-spd manual
210K mi