The X package in the Gremlin included heavier springs, a V8 with manual transmission and torque links(Think AMX) on the rear axle for traction. Not all of the Gremlin X's got the torque links either(typical of AMC). There were 5 body styles available in the Eagle line, the coupe(2 door), sedan(4 door), Kammback, SX4 and wagon......I have owned and driven all 5 and still own 3 sx4's and 3 wagons(one with manual trans, also quite rare in the wagons). A friend of mine had a 79 Spirit GT with VW/Porsche motor(I thought it was a Renault but couldn't remember for sure) and while you are right about it not having enough power overall it was geared pretty well in the lower gears and was quite fun to drive around town but about useless on highways and hills. I guess AMC's are kinda like heroin....Once ya start messing with them it becomes a terrible addiction....I just bought 4 ERTL AMX models(AND I actually found a hat printed with the OLD STYLE American Motors emblem....I freaked out and had to have it while my girlfriend just shook her head and laughed at me) in the last few days totalling WAY over $100 just so they can sit and collect dust(like AMC's do best..lolol).
 Glad to know I'm not the only FREAK here, Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Vega

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 09:30:34PM -0400, Mike Canfield wrote:
Usually the only way to get the V8 with a 4 speed was in the "X" package for
the gremlin and in the early SC Hornets.  Mike

X package was more of a trim option than anything. There was a gap after the demise of the javelin where the t-10 wasn't used anymore, and the SR4 hadn't
been acquired from Borg Warner yet. The four speeds in the gap were a
three speed with laycock overdrive (think gear vendors overdrive). SC hornets were only around for one year (71?), 360v8, four barrel, and either four speed
or automatic.

They made them in the Kammback(very short), SX4(longer but still short),
Coupe(a bit longer yet), Sedan( even longer) and finally the Eagle
wagon....(same wheelbase a fullsize jeep Cherokee/Wagonneer).

Sedan/wagon were the same wheel base, and the kammback/sx4 were the same
wheelbase. Those were the only four eagles offered. The full size wagoneer was a smidge longer in wheelbase - half a foot I think. I could go measure, I have
a 77 cherokee parked next to an 84 eagle wagon.

] They did have some fairly decent cars though, I remember the Matador which if
] I'm not mistaken was used as a police cruiser

Matadors and Ambassadors were used for police vehicles. IIRC, Adam-12 was a matador. There wasn't a police package like Ford, but there was a certified speedo, and police cars usually got 401s, front and rear sways, tranny coolers,
and bigger brakes. The engine was identical to civilian except the oil pan
had baffles. Alabama used to use javelins as pursuit vehicles.

} Don't recall the iron duke 151 being used in any AMC?

80-83 CJs, 80-83 eagles, 80-83 spirits. The four banger used in 78-79
was a VW/audi/porsche engine, 121 ci, actually the engine used in the 924
(not renault). Way underpowered for a spirit/concord/etc.

] Sure seems like I'm not going to get by with any AMC slip-ups in this
] crowd.

Not when people around here have a good chunk of the sales literature,
parts books, and a few surviving members in the fleet :)