I think that they're the most durable cars ever made. You can
reasonably expect to get 500k to a million miles if you maintain it
properly, even if driven hard and used on poor quality roads. They're
not however incredibly cheap to drive (due to fairly poor fuel economy
by 190d standards at least),
or reliable (mostly due to electrical corrosion issues which can be
prevented). Turbobricks.com is the site I would reccomend.

The performance is acceptable as long as you avoid the non-turbo
automatic transmission models, and the non-turbo diesels. IMO the
ideal RWD Volvo is a turbo wagon with a stickshift.

Tyler