They are basically good cars that by 1990 had been pretty well sorted out
(about time, seeing as they made their debut in Europe in late 1974).

You will find trim pieces (both interior and exterior) break easily and are
generally way inferior to Mercedes. Exterior trim bits are insanely
expensive from dealers. Look on eVilBay.

Drivetrain is excellent. Not that slow at all, that reputation is a leftover
from some of the 1980s models that were imported with an anemic 2.1 liter
motor with a weak cam profile. If the car is sluggish you may want to gently
put it through some Italian-tuneup workouts, as some Volvo owners are
chronic slugs and the motor may be full of gunk.

Unfortunately all Bosch injection parts are now very expensive. Other than
that the only major OUCH is replacement of the blower motor, which was
apparently the first thing bolted to the chassis on the assembly line. Not
hard in terms of competence, just requires removal of most of the dash.

Not a hard car to work on but you will find things are not quite as well
thought out as on a Mercedes.

Cheers

--
"Mac"