The youngster and I spent a day last weekend with one of my partners who is a
lifetime member of the NRA.  We shot a number of different guns, ranging from a
vintage "six shooter", a .38 magnum, an SKS, and a couple of different Ruger
shotguns.

My son shot some trap, which he did exceptionally well at.  With this in mind,
I was giving some thought to finding him a decent entry-level 12 gauge shotgun
to continue trap shooting (and possibly hunting) with.  Mind you, I don't want
to invest a large amount of money here, as he may decide it's not his thing
after a while.  However, based on his level of interest and that we have a
number of friends and acquaintances that shoot for both hunting and recreation,
I suspect it's something he'll continue to do for a long time.

I was thinking about a Remington 870 as a good starter shotgun.  Given a
choice, I would prefer an over/under 12 gauge, especially for trap shooting,
but the 870 is plentiful, and a solid gun that's moderately priced.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Dan