LWB250 wrote:

> Any suggestions for a non-pump action shotgun?

Well, unless there are affordable high quality imported doubles from Italy,
Spain or Russia (I don't know what your idea of affordable is, some of the
Russian stuff is in the $500-1000 range now), I'd go with that H&R single shot.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/toppertrap.asp
It's made in Massachusetts, although they are moving production to a Remington
factory in New York. It's high quality, with real Walnut stocks like Mossberg
and Remington used 50-60 years ago on their budget guns, and can take a variety
of barrels, including rifled slug barrels if your son should choose to get into
venison harvesting.
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp