> I was giving some thought to finding him a decent entry-level 12 gauge
> shotgun to continue trap shooting (and possibly hunting) with.  Mind
> you, I don't want to invest a large amount of money here,

I'm particularly fond of older side-by-sides.  The serious boys
at the range tend to sneer at them, but if you find one that fits
and shoots well you could do worse.  I took a couple of mine
to the range one day.  I had fun, but couldn't hit for beans.
Part of the problem is that they 'point' wrong for me, which'll
probably be sort of true of anything without a custom stock.
My favorite is a ratty old no-name that's heavy and for which
I did some stock repair, the new chunk of wood I put in fits
and looks better than what was there.  Very time-consuming
that was, and I just can't hit anything with it.  It ends up
pointing the wrong way when I throw it up most naturally.

But I like it, I like side-by-sides for some reason.  I like
older Mercedes, too.

But yes, go talk to the coots at the range.  Bet you can't
shut them up once you get 'em started!

-- Jim