They worked for me.  Toward the end of college (last 2-3 years...) I had
serious pain in my right shoulder (pitching/baseball for 11 years of my
life) that would not allow me to raise my arm above parallel to the
ground.  I thought I would need surgery, so I visited an orthopedic
surgeon and was told it was "just" bursitis.  He gave me a shot of
cortisone that made me feel really good for about 2 days.  Then the pain
came back worse than ever....UGH!  So I tried a combo of MSM,
chondroitin, and glucosamine for 3 months or so and I have not had any
pain since, now going on 6 years.  I currently play tennis more than
twice a week, bowl at least once a week, play baseball/softball/football
off and on.  All shoulder pain free :)  I'm a believer.

In reading about chondroitin, I've found that chicken cartilage is a
VERY good source for it.  Since then, I've started eating as much of the
cartilage as I can.... gross to some people, but healthful if the
chicken (back yard for me) is raised healthy.

Luther