FWD can be more scary when the rear end steps out from behind you
substantially...

Best vehicle I've driven in snow was a quadratrac equipped full size
cherokee. Then again, in california, they haven't quite figured out how to
make roads driveable in the winter, so overkill in the capability department
is nice to have.