From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Allan Streib
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:58 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] What would you buy now?

 "Curt Raymond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Boils down to front wheel drive or rear wheel drive doesn't matter so
> much as really good snow tires. I don't think I've ever had really good
> snowtires but even cheapo snowtires are better than all seasons.

Even among all seasons there are vast differences.  The first set of
tires I had on my 300D were Michelin X1s.  There are several hills near
my house that I simply could not get over if there was ANY amount of
snow on the ground.  200 lbs of sand tubes in the trunk helped somewhat,
but it was still touch and go.

The next set I bought were some BF Goodrich model that the local tire
store was closing out.  With those, I NEVER had trouble getting home
even if I didn't have sand in the trunk.

I never knew how much even similar-looking tires could vary in snow
performance until I experienced it firsthand.

Allan
--
1983 300D (for sale)

Checked by AVG.