Tom wrote: "50K is terrible. I owned a long string of 70's era American cars
and I
only lost one transmission, at 125,000 miles."

Of all of the cars I have owned (about 40), I have only had one transmission
fail.  It was a 1981 Olds 98. That particular transmission did have problems.
A lot of them failed at 70-90,000.  Mine lasted until 186,000 miles and I don't
think that is bad at all for an allegedly bad transmission.  NONE of my other
cars have ever had transmission problems.

The only transmission problems I ever saw at the Olds dealership was an
occasionally 87-89 Olds/Buick/Pontiac "H" Body (Delta 88/Lesabre/Bonneville)
and the C body cars (98/Park Avenue).  But that was very rare.  By 1990 the
4T60 transmission was in place and was a great transmission. I have not heard
of problems on others.  In all of my cars, I just changed the fluid/filter
every 30-50,000 miles and made sure when I pulled out, I was stopped before
switching from reverse to drive.  A lot of people are still reversing when they
move over to drive. I think that is hard the transmission.

Donald H. Snook