I R&R'd the head on my SDL with NO prior major engine disassembly/assembly experience and just the MB manual. It's not that tough if you are thorough and follow directions well.

Luther

Rich Thomas wrote:
So is that gasket pretty straightforward to replace? Is getting the head off fairly easy? Then replacing gasket and putting head back on? I guess you would need to remove the chain and intake/exhaust then some other stuff, get the bolts off, then redo? Probably check the round on the cylinders while the head is off to see if it is starting to go bad? While head is off, replace rods?

--R
--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (281,xxx mi)