On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM, WILTON <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a bunch of stuff on Zip; maybe I can transfer the necessary stuff to
> a flash drive on the old one, then to the new one, etc.

Good plan, Wilton---I'd either copy the data on the Zip disks to the
hard drive on the new machine by the method you outline if you need it
readily accessible, or archive it to CD.  Zip disks are not suited to
long-term storage (a polite way of saying that they fail at the drop
of a hat)---in particular, old ones are likely to be unreadable by any
but the drive that originally wrote to them, in my experience.

(Just realized I'm not following my own advice---I have a parallel
port Zip drive, no currently "active" computer with a parallel port,
and some old data that I just might want at some point lying around on
Zip disks!  Better rectify that...)

Alex