I don't think it really matters. It isn't like your diesel runs out of fuel
because your calculations were off, and you pop the hood and argue with the
injectors.

When the fuel gauge gets low, pull in and fill up.

Anything other than that is totally academic.

--
The only absolute is that everything is relative.  --Henri de Saint Simon