Don't know the spec right off hand (it's in the manuals), but is it usually in the hunderds of ohms range at room temperature and should change in response to temperature changes. The interior sensors on the W124 are negative temp coeffident -- the lower the temp, the higher the resistance, but I don't know about the the W126.

A thermistor that "swtiches" rather than continuously changing or has a bad connection will do the same thing.

So will bad connections at the pushbutton unit, though.

Peter