Does anyone have an opinion on transmission fluid/filter change versus transmission fluid flush?? I am uncertain of what may be the best course

(Why is it that every sentence ends with an extra question mark
anyway?  Valley-girl speak?  Weird Blackberry stuff?)

Anyway, I think that flushing was invented as a labor-saving
device for transmission shops so that they could 'do' a job
faster yet charge more for it.  Not bad.  Plus if they're
lucky there will be latent damage that'll bring you back
for a replacement transmission some time in the future,
beyond when you'd suspect a causal relationship.

Just do a standard filter and fluid change.  Done right
it's the best thing for you.  DIY is pretty safe, if
you take some care to do it right.  (The very thing that
it's hardest to hire.)

-- Jim