I had the exact same symptom on my 240D last year. In my case all the tumblers
had seized inside the lock and I had to cut it apart to get them out.

I have no idea what you can do in the trunk situation...

Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 08:34:34 -0500
From: Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com>
Subject: [MBZ] 123 trunk lock question
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

240D (123) has been sitting in a building for almost a year.  I tried
to unlock the trunk, and the key won't go in all the way.  It goes in
1/2-3/4 of the way.  I tried spraying in the lock with PB, but that
didn't seem to make any difference.  I could insert a 3/32 drill rod
all the way and I could insert a metal wiper reinforcement (about
1/8" wide)  all the way.

First I thought an element was stuck, but later thought something was
stuck inside the lock.  After getting the drill rod and flat metal
in, I am back to thinking something is stuck.

I figured that I would let the PB soak for a while and see what
happens.  The trunk was locked with the key when it was parked.

I don't think there is any way into the trunk without getting the
lock to work, other than as a last resort, drilling out the lock.  Is
that correct?

Yes, it is the right key, it works in the ign and in the doors.  Thanks