Bill -
As Marshall used to say, it is best just to replace them. If you get
continuity it is a good sign and probably means it is ok but you can get
continuity across a hair fine wire but it won't carry any current. If you
must keep the fuse take it out and make sure the conductor isn't cracked and
clean off  some of the oxidation. The best test is to measure voltage at the
connector. FWIW, on my '81 SL I did once have what another lister mentioned,
that being a crack in the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster.
It was very hard to see. You had to probe each circuit with an ohmmeter and
look for the large ohmic reading. It was easily repaired by soldering a
small length of wire across the crack to bridge it.

Barry