I had a friend with suspected metal in his pan and he stuck thin magnets on the outside and forgot about it. I never heard the rest of the story, but there may not have been one.

Harry

If the only concern was some bearings and debris in the pan, I'd let sleeping dogs lie. Metal stuff resting in the bottom of an oil pan will stay there, unless there is a sudden and severe gravity reversal.

I've disassembled lots of engines/trannys/pumps/etc and found wrenches/sockets/dowel pins/cotterpins . They just stay there and wait to be set free at some time in the future.

--

Peter Arnold

Windsor, CT