From: Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:38:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [MBZ] International Scout w/ factory Nissan diesel on Ebay

BZZZZZZZZT   WRONG!

>From   http://www.scoutconnection.com/  FAQ section:

8. When did International offer a diesel-powered Scout?
1976 was the first year for a diesel-powered Scout. International used the
Nissan SD-33 diesel engine for fuel economy.

Complaints of not enough power prompted International to replace the SD-33
with the SD-33T (Turbocharged) diesel engine in 1980. The diesel-powered
Scouts were very popular with their fuel-saving economy of 20 mpg city and
30 mpg highway.
End Quote

The Nissan diesel was available for many years.  Diesel Scouts are getting
rare because of the high repair costs, combined with diesel
ignorance.  Most of the remaining Diesels have been converted to gas 345
v-8.  One of the nice things about IH Scouts and pickups is that any
drivetrain option can be converted to any other drivetrain option with
factory parts.  A 2wd 304 auto pickup can be converted to a 392 4barrel, 4
speed 4wd but unbolting and bolting on the new parts.

Unfortunately, the Nissan was detuned for reliability and the turbo was
detuned also.  They were slow.  They are about like driving a 123 240D
auto, and are probably even slower than that.  The engine can be tuned for
more power  They are, like a 240D, good dependable engines as stock.  As
the HP goes up the durability decreases.

International's own diesel engines were too heavy for automotive use, so
they bought the Nissan diesels to catch the growing popularity of Diesels
following the 74  "oil shortage."

For more information, the ultimate source is www.scoutconnection.com