From: Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:15:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [MBZ] International Scout w/ factory Nissan diesel on Ebay

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:01:15PM -0500, Loren Faeth wrote:
> >The 304 and 345 were AMC supplied V8's and were not converted diesels
>
> BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Wrong!  266 and 304 are IH engines.  The 345 and the
> 392 are big block IH engines.  The 392 4 barrel is a powerful torquey
> engine.  There was an amc engine used for a year or two in Scouts, when IH
> couldn't make enough engines, or couldn't meet smog requirements.  I think
> it was a 302? Any AMC fans out there?

Two AMC engines occasionally found themselves in internationals - the AMC 401
(which was called an international 400 to not confuse international people,
since IHC made a 401 cube straight six for heavier duty applications), and
the AMC 258 (a straight six). There weren't a lot of them.

The AMC 304 and IHC 304 don't have much in common beyond displacement and
eight pistons on a common crankshaft.

> NO IH gas engine shares a block with Diesels, except maybe in
> tractors.  The v-8 diesels (powerstroke)  have a different block

Actually, the 7.3 block started life as a gasoline engine, but was
extensively modified for use as a diesel. It no longer shares much with
its gasser grandfather. Which one I can't remember, but it isn't urban
legend.