hi John!

we've gotten almost 7 years out of a severely abused Optima (Red Top) in our J**p, but that's about it. (we have another with almost that much time on it in there now with no indication of it getting tired,... yet.) if people are actually getting 10 years out of them, i haven't heard about it anywhere yet... but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Optima suffered in performance quality when they were sold years ago but are rumored to have come partway back to where they were.

just another data point; the AGM batteries that are now OEM replacements for some BMW motorcycles are known to be commonly failing in about 3 years,... so obviously, not all AGMs are the magic bullet some might like us to believe. (i still like them better in the BMW, though; the big gs is likely to be laid down on its side in regular trail use, and i prefer to not have caustic acid spilling out of the battery added to my problems at that point!)

cheers!

'85 300D
Berkeley, CA

John Robbins wrote:
Optima batteries are AGM, and they're supposed to last, IIRC, ten years.