A buddy who was looking to outsource production of some all-bidness components told me about visiting a brand new Taiwan factory. It was a huge facility, full of state-of-the-art computer-driven machine tools, few humans involved, ready to start cranking out parts for whatever. Very impressive. The guy who had built the factory was a highly educated engineer/business man (probably educated in the US, he did not ask about that) who knew how to do things right and was prepared to do so. Apparently there are various levels of quality, depending on which supplier one picks and what constraints are put on them. While I am sure some Red Chinese parts are made in backyard foundries and sweat shops, there are also very high quality producers there and in the "good" China. It does not make a lot of sense not to use them if the price and quality are there compared to domestic production options, unless there are political/legal factors. I doubt if the euros are so parochial as to ignore those options.

--R

Gary Hurst wrote:
sadly, this might actually be true and would be worth investigating

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Rich Thomas <