From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:20 AM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fuel delivery valve job

Doing one at a time is excess work. I have done 4 OM603s with good results by following the instructions. As with all injector work, cleanliness is the primary concern. After the deck is cleaned, and you start to remove the DVs, I back them out until the oring starts to show, then wash the DV and deck again. When the oring is leaking, it is crumbling. Lots of little black stuff is released and needs to be washed off. As you back out the DV, keep washing and blowing off the DV and deck.

I take off and replace one DV at a time, up to the final torque. After the last DV is done, then replace the lines, bleed the air and tighten down the line at the injector. I also replace the DV springs while I am in there. It is just a precaution, and quite inexpensive.

Don't replace only the leaking orings. You will be right back doing the job again. Taking off the intake manifold does make the job easier, but is not necessary. If I ever have need to remove the intake manifold, I change the orings, unless I know the orings are under 2 years old.

I also order 8 orings, 8 copper seals and 6 springs to do the job. Sometimes it is necessary to pull one back out, and that usually results in a cut oring, and the copper seal should also be replaced. Having spares cuts a week off the duration of the job. (Waiting for more orings to be delivered)

IF you don't have it, I will email the instructions I have accumulated from this list over time. You need to be clean and be careful, but it is not that hard of a job, and I think the dangers are overstated, unless you try to use air tools to install the delivery valves.

Max wrote <<Maybe you should only do the leaking DV's in order to reduce the
possibility of a problem?>>

That's a good idea. I'll have to clean things really good to determine which is the primary culprit/s. Usually the engine is pretty clean but it's been so cold that I haven't been able to rinse it off. At the moment there's a thin film of diesel around all 5 DV hold down clamps.

BTW, what kind of noise should I be listening for? I wonder how the factory/dealer does them to make sure they "do it right the first time" (also know as DIRTFT) ? I'm sure the factory uses a special tool to screw all 5 or 6 in at once, but if I'm very careful with my torque wrench I should be able to duplicate the torque on each DV pretty precisely, I think.

I suspect the 3 stage procedure for torqueing is to insure accuracy so there must have been problems in the past. Is the metal on the IP where the DV's are installed perhaps soft which could lead to inaccurate settings? Just curious ---

Thx for the suggestion - -

LarryT
91 300D