Can someone tell me if a capacitor across the leads to the brushes of
a small electric motor will reduce or eliminate ozone production by
the sparking of the brushes?
Yes.  Think: old-fashioned automotive points condenser.
Is the size of the capacitor critical?
Somewhat.  It has to be large enough.  (Massively too large is
bad, as the techniques used to increase capacitance also increase
series resistance and inductance, which works against what you
want it to do.)  And that's real harsh duty, so you need a very
robust one.  The capacitor in my old Sunbeam stand mixer was
quite a healthy piece of porcelain.  (Not only was there brush
noise to eliminate, but the speed regulation was a mechanically-set
centrifugal switch that bounced on and off many times a second.)
-- Jim
Hi Jim,
It is 6amps, 5speed, with solid state control via a sensor on a spinning metal plate on the shaft. Would you have any idea what value of mfd would be good to try first? Since the sensor/solid state pc board probably varies the power to the motor, would you think that would be adversely affected by putting a capacitor across the brushes? I run it at the same speed all the time.
Thanks,
Gerry