How does one go about engine power reduction without having emissions violations when the accelerator is mechanical?

I'm a compression ignition sort, but in efi gassers, doesn't the linkage go to a butterfly valve in the intake, and the ecu adjusts the mixture per sensory inputs so as to comply with emissions regulations? Doesn't leaning the mixture raise flame temperatures, increasing NOx emissions?

With diesels, and a mechanically linked pump, you'd have to cut the airflow... Drastically increasing particulate emissions due to incomplete combustion (since diesels usually have excess air...). Having an electronic input (even via actuator) to a mechanically linked IP would throw in all sorts of reliability issues when compared to an electronically governed one...

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net