On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:
> Redghost wrote:
>>
>> It is large.  I pictured having to drive between Perth and Sydney with
>> stops in Brisbane, Winton, Uluru, Derby, and Adelaide, before heading home
>> from Melbourne
>
> At least Aussies are used to wide open spaces. Sometimes European tourists
> don't really comprehend the distances until they experience them.

And Americans too.  When I was in Australia I heard lots of
good-natured stories about dumb tourists from the USA who landed in
Sydney and expected to take a bus tour of Ayers Rock in the afternoon.
 About the same as visiting New York and planning to have lunch at
Kaleb's place in Oklahoma and be back for tea.

Alex