It is a great ride, but has been troubled lately with avalanche, freight and land slides on this end.

clay

On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:51 AM, LarryT wrote:

You wrote <<Trains, while they are available, are somewhat iffy in this country>>

There is one train trip that everyone should experience - the route between Chicago and Seattle follows the US/Can border and is filled with some of the best scenery in the world. 3 days each way IIRC.

Enjoy -
LarryT

OilAnalysis Time?
Looking for Weber Parts or Porsche Posters?
www.youroil.net

From: "LWB250" <lwb...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:41 AM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Hendrik and Co coming to the US of A in June

Welcome, Hendrick. Having had the pleasure of visiting Down Under several times, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how similar the two countries are in many respects.

Your plan of flying to LA, staying a few days, then flying to Chicago are probably the best. Rental cars in these cities are plentiful and the market is competitive, so you could easily get a mid-sized sedan for a couple hundred $USD a week with unlimited mileage. That would allow you to wander freely without worry.

As for buying a car and then selling it, well, I can just imagine the pitfalls - the main ones being establishing ownership (you're not a US citizen) and insurance (can't register/title in most states without proof of residency and insurance.) I think a rental is going to be the easiest and best way to go. Look into an international driver's license now - I used to have one when I traveled extensively for business, and it allowed me to rent a car in just about any country.

Check your maps - LaCrosse is on the western edge of Wisconsin, and a long day's drive from Milwaukee or Chicago. You might want to consider using Minneapolis/St. Paul for your base of operations rather than Chicago. MSP is a wonderful city and has a lot to see and do within a short distance. It's not the thriving metropolis that Chicago is, but you could easily make a 2-3 day trip to Chicago from there without a lot of effort.

Trains, while they are available, are somewhat iffy in this country. The primary rail traffic is freight, and while there are regularly scheduled passenger trains, their schedules are often compromised by freight traffic. If you land in MSP, a train trip to Chicago make a lot of sense, and would be a pleasant day trip (one way) with some very nice scenery.

Public transportation in most larger cities is cheap and easy within the city centers. If you go to Chicago you will pay a premium for staying in the city, but that is offset by the proximity of so many wonderful things to see and do, not to mention the ease of getting around using public transportation.

You'll definitely need a car in LA, as the public transportation there is pretty lousy, not to mention the logistics are so complex due to the size of the area. You don't want to stay around LAX, as that area is pretty nasty. Make a list of the things you want to do and see and find a place to stay based on that. Driving in LA is a real experience and can take far longer to get from point "A" to point "B" than you could ever imagine, due to the congestion.

While you are probably working within a budget, treat this as if it is the only chance you will have to visit here, and make the most of it. You won't be disappointed. Even though my trips Down Under were business, I had plenty of leisure time and I made the most of it, and I am glad I did.

Dan