Change all the hoses including at the tank. check the primer pump. If it leaks when pumping, or does not pump, replace it.

An easy test is: in the condition when you "know" it won't start right, use the primer pump to bring up fuel to the IP. If it is a quiet location, you can hear the relief valve on the backside of the pump making a slight noise when fuel is exiting. The pump should have more resistance also when fuel is up all the way. then jump in and start the car. If that helps, then you know it is the hoses and clamps.

the cloth wrapped hoses will leak air in without leaking fuel out. Steel lines will do the same. IF changing hoses does not fix it, then inspect the steel lines, especially under clamps for rust scale. You may need to cut out and replace a section, or replace the entire length. On my old SDL, the steel line rusted through up under the tank where it was nearly impossible to get to (or find). On my first diesel, it rusted under the body just behind the driver door under a clamp where it was hidden.

Recap:
1. Use primer pump to see if that corrects the problem. If so, replace hoses, if pump does not work correctly, replace pump and hoses. 2. If pump and hoses does not correct the problem, check steel lines and replace as necessary.

1984 300D 290,000 miles and running strong.
Car starts very hard, sometimes not at all when I try to restart after driving long enough to get to full operating temperature. If I restart within a few minutes it starts right up. If I wait for 2 to hours it starts right up. If I try to start up within an hour or two it will not start. To get it to start I have to loosen injector lines and crank or manual pump until I get fuel to the injectors. During the winter here in Michigan I had no problem whatsoever. As soon as we hit 70 degrees plus it started acting up again. Is this a problem with the injector pump or do I have holey hose somewhere in the system?
Thanks,
Mike