No, the screen in a wagon or the older models (with bottom drain) is not attached to a hose. Just unscrew the plug and the screen comes out with it. Simple. The fuel pickup is inside the tank and it stays put. These all have the tank between the frame rails ahead of the bumper.

123, 126 and later sedans with the seat behind the back seat have the hose coming out the middle of the plug that holds the screen in.

So now I am worried.  I thought all I had to do was unscrew the coarse
 screen filter with my 22mm hex tool (allen) but it appears the end of the
filter that is inside the  tank will be attached to some sort of fuel hose
that i will need to disconnect in order to R/R the filter.  Or maybe not.