Well stated. I had the same experience with a small rust spot under a clamp. Not wet. Not much rust. but the car started fine after I cut it out. Michaels's observation that the fuel seems to flow to the filter as the air leaks in indicates the return line.

One 115 chassis 300D I bought a long time ago was sold with a dis-assembled
engine because it was hard to start. I transferred the factory re-man engine
I had in a rusting out car  to it, and surprise - it was suddenly hard to
start! I found a small place where the steel fuel line had been rubbing
against the frame. I had rubbed a pin hole through the line. I never saw a
leak, it was not wet, but was enough to make the car very hard to start
after it sat overnight. I cut he section and inserted a few inches of fuel
hose, and the problem was solved.
I don't know if this can be related to your issue or not, but I'd check
every inch of the feed fuel line.