From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com on behalf of Dieselhead
Sent: Sat 8/28/2010 2:48 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] '95 E300 rear suspension overhaul - phase 2

NO!   The spring is between the rear subframe and the LCA   The
spring is easy.  put the rear on jackstands under the jack points.
Put the jack under the LCA and remove the outer bolt.  Lower the jack
and catch the spring as it falls out.  Note which pad is top and wich
is bottom.

after this step is done, then put the jack under the diff, remove the
subframe mount bolts.  Lower the jack.

then remove the wheel carrier and a good alignment shop can change
the bushing for a few bucks, and you don't need the special tool.

I am cleaning the garage, and finding tools I forgot i owned.  The
problem with "special tools" is that unless you are uber organized,
and spend the time to keep everything that way, you can't find the
"special tool" when you need it.

I am off to HF now to buy my third sawzall type saw, because I
apparently left both mine at Daughter's house....  and to buy my
third circular saw, because on in at the north of the US and one is
at the south US... and none here....

Yes, I can see that dropping a side would help mucho, but doesn't
that also mean dealing with the suspension spring?  I'm trying to
avoid taking too much apart now.  Subframe mounts are planned for
phase 3, along with the spring link (aka lower control arm)
bushings.  Funny - I thought from the EPC pictures that the outer
bushing for the spring link was in the link, not in the wheel
carrier, guess I should have looked at the car first.  Oh well, all
new parts much easier to get to and take apart now.

Yes, I did remember to raise the axle to level before tightening.
I'm sure I could use a vice grips for most of the fasteners in the
car, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy more tools!  What a
boring tool box: hammer, vice grips, screw driver, duct tape...

OK, I've got a few house-keeping jobs and then I'm going to tackle
the other side.  It would be really nice if that special 'ring
wrench' would be delivered by FedEx today.

-Max