I had to release pressure in the four-wheel SLS system (aka 6.9-style
Hydramat) of my Euro 500SEL thanks to a leak at the banjo fitting on
the high-pressure side of the hydraulic pump.  For some reason the
copper washers suddenly decided to not seal well.  I used Philip M.'s
trick with a propane torch and cold water (thanks, Philip!) to
re-anneal them nice and soft.  Put things back together, added some
fluid, and there's no leak now that I can tell.

However, although the suspension idiot light on the dash is out
(indicating, I believe, that the overall pressure in the system is
within specs), the back end of the car now won't rise up from
kneeling-camel position.  I had already disconnected the level control
valve in the rear from the sway bar, so I was able to reach in from
the side with a broom handle and move the arm on the valve slowly up
and down for about a minute, which I thought was the proper way to
quickly bleed the system.  The back end is still all the way down,
though.  Is there still air in the system, maybe?

A greater concern, though, is that, looking at the FSM, I was
horrified to see that you're only supposed to move the arm on the
level control valve no more than 45 degrees from the central
position---too far, and it "may result in damage to valve balls and
therefore in internal leaking of level controller."  I was definitely
moving the darn thing past that point.  Did I break something?  Why
didn't they just design the valve so that the arm's range of motion is
limited to the safe area?  The last one of those valves I saw on eBay
went for $850, and while there's a place now that rebuilds SLS and
Hydramat parts---www.activesuspensionsystems.com---I haven't even
dared to ask them what a valve rebuild would cost.  Ack!

Alex