So you mean my perfectly rust-free, mostly-original-paint 280SEL 4.5 might be
worth something?!

The market in California is clearly different than everywhere else. Here,
rust-free, running, decent looking 108s are on Craigslist regularly for months
and people can't give them away. $2500 seems to be the magic number when they
disappear. Of course they all start with $7k+, but then creep down when they
realize nobody will pay that.

That friend of mine who bought the 115: it was a 76 300D, no rust, original
paint and interior, basically nothing wrong with it apart from a toasted prop
shaft support and seat pads, for $1k. He'll need to spend 3k to make it nice,
but it will be worth it at the end.

D.