The difference is quite simple. The 87 is turbo the 95 is not. The turbo is a very efficient heat pump.

-Rolf

On 02/07/2011 07:56 PM, Max Dillon wrote:
Thanks to Curt and Loren for their inputs.

Tonight I timed the warm-up, and it was about 4 minutes once I left work at
ambient temperature of about 50 degrees.  When it was below freezing earlier
this winter, it took longer but I think 10 minutes is an exaggeration.

-Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Max Dillon
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 11:38 AM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] '95 E300 with OM606 - how long to reach operating temp?

Dieselvolk,

I've been driving my '95 E300 quite a bit now that I've got most of the big
issues sorted out, but it really seems to take a long time to warm up
(compared
to my '87 300TD for instance).  I'd like to know if anyone else with an E300
(or
a normally aspirated OM606) also had noticed that these non-turbo engines
need
more time, for instance about ten minutes of driving, to get up to 80+
degrees
C.  When I had my '84 190D, I noticed that it also took longer than my '87,
and
longer than my '85 300TD which had an OM617 non-turbo engine, so maybe with
each
generation of OM60x engines in non-turbo form, they need more and more time
warm up?

Background: T-stat is new within last 12 months, tested stove-top for
opening
and closing prior to installation, has proper MB-spec coolant with the
t-stat
installation.

Very respectfully,
/s/