Bingo!

My thoughts exactly. It is so difficult to get the stupid can back on. I think it was designed to be easy with the car on a hoist at the MB shop but it is awful to do on the ground.

I am thnking spin on filter like on North American cars.

What think you all of the appropriate filter? I know the adapters are available from various people like Jegs and Summit. I was more concerned with what filter would be appropriate for an old diesel. Do I need to worry about oil pressure or the viscosity issues? Do I need a filter such as would be used on a diesel pickup truck etc? Bearing in mind of course, the amount of available space under the hood.

Randy