I'm important not to confuse engineering and marketing.  We design and test
all sorts of low end features that never make it to market in the US... the
engineers have nothing to do with this decision.  The marketing people
decide what will sell and what won't, and how to package it.  Its important
to note that MBUSA is a marketing and sales company before anything else,
and they have nearly no development engineering.

As development engineers, we just sit back and wonder how and why they make
the decisions they do.  This is how it works in most industries.

But one thing I've noticed on these lists over the years:  While the "240D
crowd" loves to go on and on about how MB doesn't offer what they want, the
reality is that there are very few people out there that feel the same way.
 And the number of people in that group willing to pay $40,000+ for a new
car of any kind is probably barley a handful.  Like it or not, the majority
of buyers want what MBUSA is selling, and thats why they are successful at
doing what they do.

Do I like the idea of buying a brand new W212 E220 diesel with a 6 speed and
cloth seats?  You bet!  Can I afford it? Nope!  If I could, would I really
buy one?  Don't know.

Jaime