Your basic description is accurate. The cartridge goes in the can and the nylon doodad with the mesh in it goes on top. A bit of a devil to get it all back into the car as there is not a whole lot of room. I have found it helps a lot if I put the car up on ramps before hand so that I can get far enough under to see if I appear to be lined up. It is possible to get the bolt in the wrong spot and to bend the edge of the canister if one tries to tighten it up without it being aligned properly. Cannot recall if there are any o-rings on the bolt. I don't think I have ever changed any.

Randy